2007-03-01

Romancing Your Children

My daughter's 3rd Grade teacher, Mrs. Connor, asked the parents to write a letter of support for the state testing this week (FCAT). It was such a wonderful idea by the entire 3rd grade staff, that I also wrote one for my son in 4th grade.

These tests can be stressful for both parents and teachers, but especially for the students. There is a lot of pressure that tends to be put on them, making it tough to do well. I am a fighter, so I believe that "When the going gets tough, the tough get romantic!"

Romance is so much more than trying to impress someone you're dating, just as LOVE is so much more than saying three little words (click HERE to read "Saying I Love You").

Real romance is about doing loving things when the ones you love need them, and not just when you feel like it or have the time for it. If you love someone you love them everyday, and romance is about putting yourself in a loving emotion in order to take care of another's needs, whether you feel like it or not.
This begins with the most important ones, their emotional needs. Neglecting these needs has damaging affects they'll have to pay for in their adult lives. Convincing yourself it's OK because you're busy providing a certain lifestyle or putting a roof over their heads is a copout and a terrible excuse to give your children.
It's not hard to do but it can seem like hardly anybody's doing it. What exactly are these great grand gestures of love?


It can be a hug to start their day.....


....or a kiss to send them on their way.


A flower to tell them "I Love You"......

....or a poem to express how much this is true.

Iszabella-Esperanza Stuart



As you prepare for your test

Of course I want you to do your best


But what I want even more
Is for you to know how much I adore


WHO you are, and
WHAT heights you’ll reach as a star


WHY I love you so, and that
WHEN I think of you my heart just glows


And what makes me stand most tall
Is HOW very, very proud of you I am

From every winter to every fall
Relax and you’ll do fine

Your test scores are going to shine!


I love you Honey, my “Beautiful Bella Butterfly” ***

Love Dad
February 22, 2007


So be romantic today, with your children, your partner, and even yourself .....not sure about your pet. I don't have one so it seems a little strange. But hey, I don't judge what I don't understand, so I'm not going to make any judgements on those who do (.....you bunch of wackos :-)


***To read "Beautiful Bella Butterfly", CLICK HERE. It is a beautiful poem about appreciating our children before they fly away.

No comments: