2007-03-07

The NOW is All We Have



continued from "The Things We Treasure Most are Taken Away Too Soon" (click here to read)

The NOW is all we have, and all we ever have any control over; to be honest, loving, good, appreciative, etc.

....fade to reality.....My NOW with my children was being quickly taken away and I had held on to it as long as possible.


We were running late but I still tried to wake them up gently with morning hugs and kisses....nothing.
I stood my hair up on end and hoped they'd laugh themselves awake....niente!

I told them I was their father and that it was time get up.....they said they were orphans whose father left them at an early age (absolutely no more reading any Charles Dickens stories to them).


I turned on the lights and exploded the room with electronic funk and house party dance mix music............you gotta be kidding me! - not a movement.

So I finally played "Good Morning" from "Singing in the Rain" (1952) and go figure, they were up. Over the summer we used to pretend we were Gene Kelly, Deborah Kerr, and Donald O'Conner, acting out the scenes.

So it seems it is true that memories can last a lifetime, and rouse sleeping children from their slumber.

p.s. Last night for the first time my son didn't ask me if we had to watch a black and white movie, which was a Humphrey Bogart / Lauren Bacall film (The Big Sleep (1946). Go figure again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lilkimmy44-- Adam, you are such a great dad! That is one special feature your children will never forget!

You are creating an everlasting treasure with your Blog. It is so filled of loving memories of your children and filled with your heartfelt love for them. You are a very special and unique person.

Unknown said...

A great comment like this reflects on the commenter. So thank you, and right back at you.