2007-06-09

I'm Getting Better and Better

"Boy, Daddy! I'm getting better and better."

"Yes you are, Sofia. That's what happens when you practice."

Tonight, after I finished jumping rope, Sofia wanted to try. I didn't think she would be able to and expected her to give up after only a few tries.

Three ten-minute sessions later, she said, "That's enough."

THREE! That's 30 minutes total! The kid is five years old. I was sweating bullets and could barely pick up my feet after my 30-minute session.

What makes her even more amazing is she hit the back of her head with the rope and gave out a loud "OUCH!" I quickly tried to encourage her with a, "sometimes practice hurts".

"I know Daddy", she responded, and went right back to jumping rope.

Maybe it is true that the most important things we need to know we learn by kindergarten. Perhaps we just forget them as we grow up and learn how to be afraid.

Afraid to try new things
Afraid to fail

Afraid to practice until
We have learned to do them well

We teach our children not to be afraid of silly nightmares, yet somehow unconsciously teach them to be afraid of life. Interesting. I really hope I'm not doing this to my children.

My brave little dynamo is asleep now. It seemed all the jumping rope wasn't enough to tire her out. I had to read several books to do that.

I have to confess something. For dinner I offered her a banquet of possibilities. House Specials such as:

Sofia's Special Mac-a-Wonee Cheese Please
Fry Cook Daddy's Tomato Soup and Toasted Cheese
Super Slippery Spaghetti with the Stuart Special Saucy Sauce
and Latin American Ranchero Omlettes

But all she wanted tonight was a simple PBJ. However, there was a catch. She wanted it with the chocolate chips Daddy had forgotten to hide before she came over. So...........knowing I love fun, she talked me into it by telling me how she wanted to sprinkle them on her jelly and then smash the bread with the peanut butter on top.

In hindsight, perhaps it was this special concoction that gave her this extra energy. How was I to know there was chocolate in chocolate chips?

Well now it's 2am and I've submitted some writings to various publishers. I "practice" a lot, knowing "I'm Getting Better and Better". It's difficult, but "practice sometimes hurts".

What doesn't hurt is knowing I'm already successful as her father. She wanted to be with me while I wrote, and is asleep on the couch. I think I'll carry her upstairs and lie down with her. After all, she already has tomorrow's books lined up. I better get some rest.


Copyright © 2007 by Adam Stuart

No comments: