2007-01-06

Forgiveness

I saw this today and felt compelled to share. It's so easy to get upset about things much less offensive than what happened in this story. One week ago I had to face a truth about someone I had thought of very highly for many years. One month ago something much less worse happened that caused me to absolutely lose it. Since that time I have been daily working on my emotional strength and sense of self-worth. Had I not done this religiously over the past 30 days, I hate to think how I might have handled a reality that made me sick to my stomach.

This time though, after only a few days from last Saturday's bombshell, I was strong enough to forgive them, and then release them from my life. Forgiving someone does not mean allowing the hurtful behavior to continue. As Louise Hay says in her book/cd "You Can Heal Your Life", setting healthy boundaries is one of the most loving things you can do for both parties, and true forgiveness really has nothing to do with the other person. It is simply releasing yourself from holding onto the pain.

In being able to do this, I have experienced a greater sense of peace, of self-confidence, and of happiness than I have maybe in 10 years. I've also never been more productive, getting ready to publish my books online and begin writing for the University of Central Florida.

We are all challenged with people and events that cause us pain. After reading this story, ask yourself how justified you feel holding onto yours. Thinking about the anger, pain, blame, etc caused by our own unforgiveness only creates more of it in our lives. Wouldn't you rather forgive and forget, and be happy instead? If you don't think you can do it, read this story and be inspired.

"The story is so haunting it's almost hard to believe. Amy Biehl, an idealistic California college student, wins a Fulbright Scholarship to travel to South Africa to assist the anti-apartheid movement; she goes there, and is murdered by a black mob during a riot. After years of grief, her parents Linda and Peter quit their trendy upper-middle-class California jobs and move to South Africa to try to complete the work their daughter started.

Eventually Amy's parents meet two of their daughter's killers, who are now full of remorse. The two young men, who have been pardoned, try to atone for their crime by doing public service for a foundation the Biehls established in Amy's name. Amy's parents forgive the two killers and they become friends, so much so that the young men address Amy's mother as "mom."

Hard to fathom? Few among us could be so forgiving, despite what religions teach. Amy Biehl must have been an exceptional person to inspire her parents to transform their lives in her memory. Her parents must be exceptional as well, to be capable of such acts. But exceptional though they are, their experience is an unusually dramatic example of a rule that applies to everyone: that forgiveness is good not just for the person who is forgiven, but also for the person who forgives.

Traditionally, we think of forgiveness as a blessing extended to the transgressor, easing his or her conscience; the person who does the forgiving is seen as engaged in a gallant self-sacrifice. In this traditional view, the forgiven person benefits while the forgiver gains nothing. But what if forgiveness is just as important for the person who forgives as for the person forgiven? What if it's in your self-interest to forgive, because you will be better off?

Consider that once the murder happened, Amy Biehl was gone: nothing could bring her back. Her parents might have allowed their lives to be burned up in hatred for the people who committed the crime and for the place where it happened. Instead, they forgave. The sorrow of their loss will never go away. But otherwise, forgiving Amy's killers left the Biehls better off.

Today, rather than having their lives subsumed in bitterness, Amy's parents are leading important, constructive lives as part of the great South African reconciliation effort. They keep Amy's spirit alive as a living memory, and they feel hope rather than anger. Strictly from the standpoint of their own self-interest, the Biehls are better off than if they had refused to forgive.

A one-of-a-kind situation? Hardly. Increasingly, psychological research has begun to show that being a forgiving person is essential to happiness. Even when someone wrongs you, feeling anger or hatred only causes your life to descend into misery and resentment: You are the one who suffers, not the person you're angry at. Forgiving, on the other hand, can lift the burden. When Buddha and Jesus and other great spiritual figures taught us to forgive those who sin against us, they weren't just pronouncing holy philosophy. Rather, they were giving practical down-to-earth life advice."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, how do you know for sure that you have forgiven someone that has wronged you? I know it says in the Bible seventy times seven........keep forgiving.....over and over. In a way I feel a sense of release that that person isn't directly in my life anymore because I'm am a better person without him. Yet, we still have hurtful conversations over visitations with kids, holidays, etc. Does it ever end?
Jan from SD

Anonymous said...

Forgiveness. The word rolls off the tongue, but the heart often resists the very thought of it. Yet, I know from personal experience that it is one of the most important freeing emotions that exist. It’s not a very popular emotion, and there’s a human tendency to want to hold onto hurt and seek revenge. But if you don’t learn to forgive, all you do is take the hurt into yourself where it then has the chance to create total chaos and depression in your life.
But how do you forgive? A little over a year ago, a police officer in the town where I live shot his two small children in the head, and then killed himself. This news alone is enough to make people reflect on their lives. But when you personally know the people involved, when your daughter attended school with the children for 3 years, when the father was your daughter’s soccer coach, when you had gone to many parties at their house, and when your lives were intertwined with theirs through the activities of the children, it hits hard. Yet, I had learned through a similar experience over a decade ago that the most important thing to do in times like this is to release the anger and forgive. It is not automatic for most: it is a process and one that I still have to remind myself of often. I think of this man and the incredible pain that he must have felt in order to take the lives of those closest to him. I think of how, when we think there are absolutely no alternatives or no way out, there actually are many and we just have to have the courage to open ourselves up and find another path. I think of the people who were his friends and what they must live with now. And I think of how he didn’t really understand that we ALL are connected and that when one person slashes out, if effects many. I have learned to appreciate my own children and the people in my life every day – even on the difficult days. I have learned how valuable life is and how interconnected we all are. I have learned that kindness if powerful. But most of all I have learned that forgiveness sets pain free.
J

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan from SD
Forgiveness is not forgetting or accepting what another has done to you. But what I’ve found is that I know I’ve forgiven when the person’s actions no longer alter my emotions. He (and it has usually been a “he”) can continue in much the same way that he has before, but somehow I can release the desire to get pulled into the games of the hurtful conversations. It takes effort and I really have no magic answer. For me, it’s about knowing what I no longer want in my life, letting it go, and putting all my attention on what I do want. After awhile, if you can keep doing this, it seems to get easier and easier. Adam, I hope you don’t mind that I answered Jan. It is your blog, after all :)
J

Anonymous said...

it's not that peaple are doing this to us we are the other part who we allow them to do this to us' somtimes it just takes enough is enough and then a little lite bulb goes on and we think what are we doing. if you have somone in your life that is the father/ mother of your children GUESS what thay will be in your life for as long as you live so you better think of somthink that will work for both of you
somtimes have a family member or friend be the middle person for the drop of for your children and if this does not work take him/her back to court. i tell you it works I have done this and we are happy to say hi and by
we all just have to be ADULTS and the children should never have to suffer

Unknown said...

I encourage all readers to comment. I just share my thoughts and then share the thoughts shared back. I believe in a world-wide community where we can learn from each other and elevate each other's lives and happiness.

As long as the comments are positive and pertain to the post, I'll publish it, even if you think I look ugly :-)

Thank you to all for your flattering comments that I do not post. I do appreciate them but posting them would only be self-serving for my own benefit. I am grateful for everyone who feels something I've written has somehow made their lives better.

My intention with this weblog is that we learn from and teach other how to live sensationally, together.