2009-01-03

Living Fine in 2009! ~ Part 3 (3 of 365)

Even with the hurtful restrictions placed on teaching, the students and I have still found a way to Dream Big and Do Big, producing improbable results once again, showing just how much lives can change once the heart and mind are powerfully connected. On county testing in math:

Five students scored a 100% (no one did in the Fall)
Four students improved their scores by 100% or more
There was more than 1,000% growth among all the students

Tests scores .............. Fall to Winter

100% Score................from... 0.. to.. 5
100%+ Growth..........from... na.. to.. 4
90%-100%.................from... 1.. to.. 7
80%-100%.................from... 3.. to.. 14
70%-100%.................from... 5.. to.. 18
60%-100%.................from... 9.. to.. 20
0%-59%......................from... 11.. to.. 1

This has come from teaching the kids to think at a higher level and evaluate their own thinking. But all of this has taken it's toll, and while playing with Sofia one morning before school I felt myself starting to have a stroke. While I was dancing with her she became very heavy and I ran out of breath trying to talk.

I had been telling myself I didn't have time to work out or even wash my hair. If I had looked in the mirror I would have seen what was coming. I was out of shape and an unsightly mess. If you're passionate enough to push your limits, you need to be responsible enough to pay attention to the danger signs.



I sat on the ground and completely relaxed, concentrating on Sofia's beautiful face, promising myself I wouldn't allow any more stress to come into me the rest of the day. Had I not done this I probably would be in Dick Clark's shoes right now, my sympathies to him.

With all the challenges 2008 provided it was only proof that the impossible IS possible and there are no limits when you push yourself to the very edge of them, as long as you know when to back off before you break.......This makes you so much stronger than you were that you find yourself laughing and enjoying life more than you ever did.

(a note I left for the students after studying volcanoes: "You are not allowed to be dormant. You are ACTIVE volcanoes of EXPLOSIVE THINKING and FEELING...........EXPLODE!")

There is no reason that what is happening in this classroom and others can't happen in EVERY classroom across the globe. All it takes is the ability to use the test data to determine WHAT each student needs to be taught, and loving the kids enough to trust them to show you HOW to teach them.

I am determined to make this happen, starting with the defense of my thesis this spring. Now with 3 days of tutoring added to my week on top of everything else, the challenge has only gotten bigger in 2009........... but then again, so have I, by not backing down from the challenges of 2008

Let's welcome the new year, with both it's hopes and its challenges......bring it on.......here's to Life and Living Oh So Fine in 2009!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool blog

Anonymous said...

Good Blog, I think I want to find me, I will tell my other friends, on all