2009-01-04

Dream ~ Jesus and God

Last night I had a nightmare. This is rare, but I used to have the same one every night for about three years.

I had been very hurt by someone, so much that I had to leave the relationship before its negativity destroyed me.

Women don't seem to understand just how much their words affect the men that love them. No matter how strong a man is, how confident and secure he is, when he loves a woman, her words have a great affect on him.

The entire world can ignore him, criticize him or even come after him in attack, and he stands strong. But the words coming from the lips of the woman he loves can elevate him to the best of himself........or tear him down and break him apart.

In a healthy, interdependent (not codependent) relationship, she is his world. She is the one that matters. Besides to himself, how he matters to her is what matters most.

Just as men don't have to act macho to feel deserving of attracting a woman's love, women don't have to be "witches" to show they won't put up with disrespect and dishonor. A heart filled with self-love speaks this loudly enough.

I had a vision sweep through my head of a woman playfully yet purposefully letting me know she wanted her time by telling me as I got out of bed one night in the future, "You don't belong to the world. You belong to me. Now get back here."

I like the scene from 300, where the wife of Leonitis tells him to ask himself what a free man would do, especially this line: "There's only one woman's words that should affect the mood of my husband....those are mine."

Once I love someone I don't suddenly stop because they don't treat me lovingly. In fact I am more loving, hoping that with enough love the other can learn to love back, and did right up until I felt a second heart attack coming.

After I left, I tried to heal by NOT forgiving, hoping to form some kind of defense against her coming back into my life with repeated promises to change.

Although forgiveness in the male world is seen as a sign of weakness, the truth is that by not forgiving, we don't release ourselves from the anger, bitterness, and pain that has been caused, and this further weakens us.

Not only DID I end up forgiving over and over, but confused forgiveness with allowing the painful behavior to continue, and allowed this person to come back in and out of my life, opening up my heart only to close it again in pain after another lie and another fight.

I began to doubt and question myself, concluding that the only reason the children I loved so much weren't in my everyday life was because I didn't deserve them.

Since then I've learned from Louise Hay that forgiveness means setting healthy boundaries of what you will and won't accept, forgiving and releasing those that can't respect this, and forgiving and releasing yourself from any pain that was caused.

Ironically, I saw this on the profile page today of a new person who contacted me:

"Through love, all pain will turn to wisdom! - Rumi"

But for three long years I drove myself into a very hellish state by holding onto the pain of the past (even if it was from earlier that day), only coming out to experience the teasing of heaven in the present presence of my children or students. Not even in my sleep was I safe, waking up in anguish from this dream:

Jesus knocks on God's door, asking to come in. God, at the sink shaving, tells him to come in.

God: Good morning son.

Jesus: Um, good morning Dad. Is it alright to talk to you about something?

G: Sure

J: You know that guy we brought up, Stuart?

G: Yes

J: The angels complained that he was roaring his motorcycle up and down their street last night around 3am

G: Oh?

J: Yeah, and it's not the first time. He does this a lot.

G: (chuckling while continuing to shave) I heard he does.

J: (a little annoyed) He does other stuff too, you know. He's causing a lot of other problems.

G: (calmly) He does seem spirited, doesn't he?

J: (upset now) Dad! I......I just don't think he deserves to be here!

G: (sets down his razor and looks his son in the eyes) He doesn't either. That's why he's here.

No comments: