2007-09-16

Being in the Picture WITH THEM

I had just written a post for my students and noticed I was in all three pictures. This made me wonder if my egoistic mind is crying out that I am good enough to be loved and this was my way of showing it.

After silently observing myself, the only answer that came to me was this:

That to really affect change in our children and students we have to be in the picture with them, versus just telling them over and over what to do.

We have to put ourselves in THEIR PICTURE, by:

......WATCHING THEM, observing THEIR thinking, learning where THEY'RE coming from......






....Connecting WITH THEM from "there", and building a bridge to "here", the next idea.........









....Sitting down WITH THEM and working one-on-one......





....Fighting ALONG SIDE OF THEM and not against them....












...Laughing together WITH THEM and not at them.....









......Using the door.....











....and the floor.....








....getting down on THEIR LEVEL to see the world through THEIR EYES...








.....LIFTING THEM to see new heights of possibilities......








....And celebrating their successes WITH THEM







Plain and simple, if we want our children to hear our words, to feel our love for them, and to believe us believing in them......

WE HAVE TO BE IN THE PICTURE WITH THEM!

So many decisions are made academically, politically, economically, and ecumenically by those not even in the picture of the lives they're affecting. Let's make sure you and I aren't doing that with our children.

That last one, ecumenically, is from Johnny Depp, as Captain Jack from the first Pirate's movie. He is one of my all-time favorite characters, as well as one of my students' favorite characters I imitate in class WHILE teaching - Before you criticize, my classes are among the highest in learning growth every year - So there! - I make a third of what I'd be making had I stayed in business, so you better believe I'm going to enjoy what I do.....As should we all!

Life is too short for stress!

- True Inner Peace & Happiness 2day 2 U,
Adam (the pirate)

No comments: