2006-11-13

What Teachers Make

A friend sent this to me today. I do come from the business world and have heard these criticisms. I also have heard those in the teaching world criticize those who make money. Money is neither good nor evil; it's what you do with it that's good or evil. All I know is in I wake up everyday and go make other's lives better. I am a wealthy man. I also know I hunger to travel the world and share it with my children. This takes money. This takes getting a higher degree and having other means of income. Impossible dreams take impossible effort. But I do know that I'm not waiting for some day to do something important with my life, show others I care, or putting money ahead of my loved ones.

"The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued,"What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?"He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers:"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

To stress his point he said to another guest; "You're a teacher, Susan. Be honest. What do you make?" Susan, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You want to know what I make?"

I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.
I make a C+feel like the winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor.
I make kids sit through 40 minutes of study hall in absolute silence.

"You want to know what I make?
I make kids wonder.
I make them question.
I make them criticize.
I make them apologize and mean it.
I make them write.
I make them read, read, read.
I make them show all their work in math and perfect their final drafts in English.

I make them understand that if you have the brains, and follow your heart, and if someone ever tries to judge you by what you make, you must pay no attention because they just didn't learn."

Susan paused and then continued. "You want to know what I make?'I MAKE A DIFFERENCE.' What do you make?"

"Teachers make every other profession possible."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Susan said what she said! Teachers are a gem and there is no way that I can have the patience to teach! Anyway, I too want to take my kids for a holiday and am trying really hard to earn extra money. May dreams come true...

Anonymous said...

The story didn't make all the sense in the world but it was anough that I could understand that Susan does make a difference and so do you!!



A.J.

Anonymous said...

ONE Hundred Years From now
One hundred years from now. it will not matter what kind of bike I rode.
What kind of house I lived in.
how much money was in my account nor what my clothes looked liked.
But the World maybe a better place I was inportant in a life of a child