2009-07-11

Living a Dream Life

There is a saying that as one door closes, another one opens. I found out something on this trip that's even more amazing and true:

As one dream is realized, an even bigger one comes into your heart.

I've gone from wanting to just travel in Europe, to wanting to live there.

The entire trip was incredible, life changing. London by itself was enough to be a trip of a lifetime.

Rome took me to an even higher level. At one point in my journey I was sitting on the Spanish Steps, got up to get a drink out of the fountain in the square, and then walked up the street and saw a statue of a writer looking up at the sky............My heart burst. I was filled with a desire to live in the world, one month in the States and then one month in a city like Rome, writing, teaching and speaking out of an abundance of inspiration......and then moving on to a different city when the inspiration ran out.

One month in the States. One month in the World.

When you find the courage to hold on to a dream until it becomes your reality......you are changed.....you are more.....and more comes into your life

The size of your world is definitely the size of your heart and mind.

Think and dream small, and you and the world you live in is small and limited.

Think, dream and FEEL big, and you and the world you live in becomes big, unlimited, incredible.

Achilles' weakness was his heel. Mine is my heart........I went to Europe feeling as if a gun had been put to my chest and the trigger pulled. But as I walked the streets of London I realized I hadn't been killed. I was still alive. My heart held no bitterness or anger, only pain, and pain heals. I told Sofia I would go through 100 relationships that didn't work out to have just one of her.

And instead of what was left of my heart closing up, the hole seemed to allow even more love to come into it on this trip.

I have worked so hard and long on thinking of and treating others not based on how they think of and treat me, but on how they deserve to be thought of and treated, which is as a person capable of being and becoming something the world has never seen, with all their developed magnificence and beauty.

And because of that I saw so much magnificence and beauty on my journey that poems and enlightenment wrote themselves in my head and heart as my eyes saw one thing after another.

Last night after Brosden and Bella jumped all over me telling me I was their playground, I put my arms around them and we watched On The Waterfront with Marlon Brando and Eva Marie Saint. It's a movie about how a woman and a priest come into the life of one man, making him want to be more than he is, and how just one man can make a difference even if he has to stand up alone against an entire system.

Two scenes really hit me. In the cab before Charley gets killed Terry tells his older brother "I could of been a contender. I could have been somebody." I thought of how we all feel that way at some point in our lives.



We know we could have become so much more had we had so much more courage, had we just tried for one more day to be everything we dream of being. Had we not given up and maybe had just one other person not give up on us too.

But we stop there. We don't choose to now have more courage to believe in ourselves, to have the strength to hold on to our dreams today, and the next today, until our dreams do become our reality. We don't fight. We don't face our fears. We settle. We give in. We give up.

I only know how to do two things very well. I know how to love. And I know how to fight. My life has become nothing more than fighting for what I love, which is for the amazing people we all are capable of being, and fighting for this with as much class and courage as I can.

And if I don't have enough, I will keep fighting until I do, even if it means getting knocked down and beaten up by life in the process. If I'm still breathing, I'm still trying.

As we watched the final scene of the movie and my kids were cheering for Terry they said, "That is you Dad. That is definitely you."


Terry's courage is so inspiring that the others now have the courage to refuse to work unless he does too, if he is be able to walk up the dock on his own.


As I squeezed them in my arms my heart burst again. I was filled with happiness that by choosing to fight for what I love, to deal with pain and overcome it, and to have the courage to develop the inner strength to allow my dreams to come true......I've looked out for my children just a little bit....

....giving them the courage to become real-life contenders of not giving up in making their own dreams come true, which has got to be one of the greatest gifts a parent can give.

As I closed my eyes I knew that even our biggest dreams do come true as we ourselves become bigger, that the more courage we have the faster these changes happen, and that I am living a very big dream life.

I fell asleep knowing that dreams are worth fighting for.


(I'm having trouble downloading my 5,500 pictures and videos. There's one of me sitting on this fountain with the lion in the background, the two of us looking eerily similar :-)

No comments: