2007-07-09

It's the Size of the FIGHT in the Cat


They say it's not the size of the cat in the fight, but the size of fight in the cat that determines the outcome.

This is more than true for us humans as well. Anyone who has studied history can tell you numerous stories of those with great desire accomplishing great things.

Think back on the times when you were able to accomplish something you didn't think you could. I bet it was because you had great desire.

I was the smallest kid in my class up till high school. After I grew Freshman year I was still the skinniest kid. At home I used to ask my one-year-older sister to pretend she was a girl at school coming down the hallway, and ask her if she could tell if I had any muscles.

She was nice, but honest, and told me "no". I kept asking her, pretending to open my locker and "flexing" my arms, but still no muscles could be seen. After three years she said maybe I needed to lose all my fat before I could gain muscle. I had no fat to lose, and gave up asking her.

But I loved football and wanted to play so badly (and did for three years) that I ran my summer workouts with a weight jacket and asked every big guy at the local YMCA about their workouts. I finally made the varsity team my Senior Year, and we even made the playoffs for the first time in years.

I ran the next summer workouts again with a weight jacket and never missed going to the gym. I ended up being the only one from my high school to go on to play college ball, even though I only played varsity in high school one year.

"I didn't have any special gift, and I'll say that to anyone out there who thinks they need a special gift. Focus, and a little bit of obsession helps. When I was young I thought 'there will be a changing of the guard and someone is going to take over'. Why not me?" - Steve Martin

Someone today is going to take one step closer to achieving their dreams. Why not you?

No comments: