2006-10-12

Samurai School - Science Inquiry Learning

What a busy week! With the 1st quarter ending Wednesday, it was a busy-busy time. But never too busy for real learning, as can be seen from the photos.

As we were headed back inside from recess I grabbed the cupcake wrapper I had set down by my boots. Immediately my hand started stinging as a dozen red ants tried to convince me to drop their food source by biting me.

We were headed back inside for Science anyway, and I realized we already were in the classroom, right here at our feet.



With a few well-placed guiding questions, the students became scientists and took control of the class.

It all began with "Why do you think the ants are all over the cupcake wrapper and not on the milk or my boots (which I took off to play football frisbee)?"










First it began with observation from a safe distance.









Then Serena and Jessica began offering hypothesis.






The students were drawn in and began to observe more closely.





And hypothesis testing began.












Finally, some ants were collected in an ant farm for further observation in our "other" classroom" (Thank you Mrs. Hool and Ms. Michelle for the farm).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures of me!

Anonymous said...

That was so fun

Anonymous said...

That was so fun

Anonymous said...

your the best teacher in the whole wide world and I mean it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I learned so many things today and as you say make it a part of your self. and know it compare and contrast is a part of me.