2009-03-07

This is WHERE We Are

When I got up to grade my students' work I said, "Well, let's find out where they are".........and began picturing their faces realizing how far they've come as I walked down the stairs.

I never looked at them and said, "This is WHO they are". That may be who they thought they were, but I saw them as, "This is WHERE they are."

This is where all of their thoughts, feelings, beliefs and actions have brought them. I match that against where they need to be to determine what we need to do to get there. (Sofia stretching before the big Skee-ball tournament)

We can do the same thing with others as well as ourselves. When we look in the mirror and say "This is who I am", that's only our ego speaking. Since we are humans being, it's more effective to say, "This is WHERE we are".

If where we are has created limited happiness, limited success, limited relationships, etc. then it's because of having limited thinking, feelings, beliefs and actions. We are probably looking for something or someone outside of ourselves to change how we feel inside about ourselves (If I had better grades or more money I'd be happier. If I find the right person to love me and tell me I'm OK then my life would be so much better.)

The problem with this is that staying the same yet wishing for more can only bring more of the same.

If we don't like where these limitations have brought us in our evolution we simply choose to have less limiting thoughts, feelings, beliefs and actions. (If I were happier I would do my work with more gusto and opportunities to make better grades/more money will come into my life. If I become the right person and already know I'm OK, then other healthy people will be attracted to me.)

One way to do this that I've been encouraging the kids to do is to think of the person they would like to be, and imagine what this person would think, feel, believe and do.....and then do that. In this way they move forward more and more to becoming that ideal person.

Instead of finding themselves in the same situations getting the same results (same grades, same income, same relationships) they find themselves BECOMING more and getting results that are more (better grades, better income, better relationships).

And although I'm sure they will do well on the state tests over the next 2 weeks, they don't need these scores to tell them they are smart or worthy as human beings. They are now humans being already KNOWING they are smart and worthy, and that every day is an exciting opportunity to grow and evolve into the unlimited beings they are........just like we do.

No comments: