2009-02-23

YES WE CAN!



Today.....today I saw true magic happen.....magic manifested from 7 months of having a belief in someone that was greater in their disbelief in themselves

And today was a day of breaking through barriers and crossing into a new world of reality for one young man......a boy not predicted to pass 5th grade.........a man in the making fighting to be the prophet of his own future

This is what he scored on 5 on-grade level reading tests, with the same logical reasoning and complete explanations as the gifted students are required to give me:

100%, 100%, 88%, 100%, 63%

I think on the last test he went into a state of "It's too good to be true" and started to doubt himself. Of course he has never worked this hard in one day before, and he tuckered his brain out pretty good.

As I'm remembering watching him jump high in the air with great excitement mid-morning, and coming to pick the class up at lunch and seeing him sitting at the same table he used to get sent to because he was always in trouble......but this time he had sat himself there to do just two more problems he wouldn't normally have done......

I say to him......with tears coming to my eyes....out of joy.....out of exhaustion that has paid off......

YES YOU CAN!

YES YOU CAN!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Teaching is one of those professions where you have to sometimes wait to see results. I too have had several "battles won" over the last few weeks. By "battles won" I mean the kids see their educational worth, the parents see what you've been telling them, and the wheels in the head start to click together to spin. Validation. Belief in what they CAN do. A teacher told me recently that she wanted to do more it was just too time consuming, I looked at her and said, I lose a lot of sleep, but they are worth it. If I have to present the same concept in every way possible I am okay with the time invested if everyone gets it. A thousand and two reasons why I love teaching, "battles won" and visions developing are just two of them.

Thanks for your posts, I enjoy reading them.