2007-12-05

The Year of No Limits!

The match has been lit...and the fire has definitely taken hold. (Taneicea hiding under her jacket in the beginning of the day)

If you define success by a willingness to believe in yourself and dream big, Taneicea has become very successful. (Nick by the poster of our class motto)

She did another extra project and again asked if she could present it in front of the class. Later she left this comment on a post on the students' blog. (Sharpe's Challenge )

"Hi this is taneicea again and I want to tell you things that has not happen but will happen will I do it.

I will beat James then I will be the world greatest reader or at least the country greastest reader.

It feels inpossible for me to do but I know I can do it.

I will read al night and day if I have to, I will beat James no matter what it takes.

This will take a lot of effert for me to do, but I don't care all I care about is you and beating James till I can't beat him anymore.

My sister is putting me down but I try to get back up. She keeps pushing me down. One time she said you can't do anything with your life. I got back up from that.

there is nothing that will keep me down for the rest of my life. Hpoefully you get this comment it means something."
- Taneicea

She's talking about the school's Accelerated Reader program that started Monday. This is where you read an approved book and then take a test on it. If you pass, you receive points. In three days James has received 303 points. Taneicea has 0.4 points, yet look how big she is dreaming. (Going over a strategy to improve her reading)

"...Who you are, you know that part of you that is so full of life...We all have that feeling, that fire, but usually never get a chance to use it, and then it just goes away...

But you can, you've got this opportunity, so do it. Why not?....And you don't move aside from nobody until you're ready to move...and it doesn't matter how this looks to other people.

All that matters is how this looks to you. And if this is something you want to do, then you do it.....Fighters fight!"

- from the movie, Rocky Balboa

This young girl has really begun to fight. She is taking her fears head on and dreaming "impossible" dreams.

This is more than a nice story about a little girl trying hard....She has made the decision to be more than she is...to dream bigger than life has allowed her to become so far....and feels confident and safe enough to go after it.

What we are all witnessing is a real-life Rocky....A Rudy whose heart is bigger than her life, and as long as we can keep that fire lit, and give her the education to achieve her dreams.....then her life becomes as true and big as every other hero's...

....that the size of her world is the size of her heart and mind....and that NOTHING will be able to stop her but herself.

"...When you grew up and it came time for you to take on the world....Somewhere along the line you changed. You stopped being you.

You let people stick a finger in your face and tell you you're no good. And when things got hard, you started looking for something to blame.... ...

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.

You, me or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life.
But it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much can you take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!

Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!

........But until you start believing in yourself, you ain't gonna have a life."

-- from the movie, Rocky Balboa

(James, with his arm propped on my boot, ending up finishing the week with over 400 points, and tops in the school. The AR program data sheets only go up to 250 points. What a positive problem to have, and a wonderful person to have in class to show just how incredibly high all of us can go.)

We truly are limited only by the limits we set for ourselves. From Taneicea to James, this is the YEAR OF NO LIMITS! Can you imagine if we all did that for ourselves for just one year?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is Incredible!Of course all the children are Sensational but I have to tell you before I started hearing about Taneicea's wonderful breakthrough,..I saw her in previous posts/pics SHE stood out to me.Not only because of her beautiful appearance and her resemblance to my neice..It was really something else.The Fire in her eyes with the sense that she has So Much to give to this Amazing Life..YOU Adam have made a Remarkable Impact on her..You have given her the strength and Confidence to DO BIG...YOU have the Incredible GIFT to LIGHT UP the SPIRIT in Everyone ;-) I know this firsthand..I Compliment you on your WONDERFUL COMMITMENT to your students..And a BIG BIG compliment to Taneicea for such Amazing Ambition and Awesome Spirit.Bravo to James for his winning attitude!
Blessings,
~Cali