2007-11-02

A Life For a Life ~ Changing the Future NOW


Half the battle is to get students just to behave and work hard. Daiquan and I butted heads big time in the beginning of the year. In his anger and misbehavior I saw a great fire for change, if I could just redirect it.

So I took a gamble and offered him a choice; either believe in himself as much as I did, or put a bullet in my head to get rid of me, because I was going to be in his face pushing him every day. If I was going to believe in him and take a chance on him, I was going to go all the way with with it.


But working hard doesn't mean any real learning is taking place. I joke about the new Bee Movie coming out, with Jerry saying "Maybe this time. Maybe this time. Maybe this time", over and over as he smacks his head against a closed window, trying to get out.



It's analagous to working hard but not working smart, on the part of both teacher and student. Too many adults trying hard end up on the windowsill of life, exhausted and dying, wondering why their dreams never materialized. Too many teachers take solace in reaching that one kid. I don't want this to happen to any of my kids.


If we're going to help them long-term, we have to work smart; we have to listen to them, to understand them, to their way of thinking, and where they are in the stages of knowledge and why. It's about them, and how great they could be, not about what a great teacher we are or how hard we work for no pay.

Anyone can criticize, complain and judge, and it's too easy to say, "I tried. I did my job but it's not my fault." The job is developing the child, not the lesson.

Wisdom how to do this comes from listening to them, knowing that we know nothing about their individual stories until we ask, and then knowing what lessons we need to develop for them.

Only by taking time with each student can we best build a solid bridge of learning, taking them from where they are, to where they need to be.
Thoughts are key, but emotions are powerful. Can you imagine what Daiquan is feeling now, and the new, more empowering thoughts he is having?

I don't think he's having thoughts of taking me out.

I think he's thinking thoughts that are changing his life...

...and able now to help others change theirs.

(Taken this morning, reading to his little brother.) Kicked off the bus again, and getting dropped off very early now, it was pointed out he only began behaving when he saw me pull into the parking lot.

I pointed out that he still chose to change his behavior, and I still have seven months to get him to do it without needing me or anyone else as motivation. Seven more months of my life, for 70 plus years of his greatest possible life.

The time to live and give is NOW, that's how we change the future.

No comments: