2007-08-05

The Natural Beauty of Man

This is a picture I saw on a friend's web page. It is of Bucephalas, Alexander the Great's horse, riding off into the sun, just as the young Alexander first rode him so Bucephalas wouldn't see his shadow and be frightened.

Seeing this beautiful picture of nature, evoked this forgotten knowledge:

Man can only be as beautiful as nature
by having a nature as beautiful and pure.

He needn't seek the reflection of the social mirror
When he allows his inner child to guide him as he matures.

- Adam Stuart


Last night was one of a boy and man playing beautifully. When I picked my son up he had been watching the Scooby Doo marathon all day, and begged me to let him keep watching it. When I have him I want to feed his brain and soul with classic masterpieces like Oliver. In a few hours Mr. Smith Goes to Washington was on and I really wanted him to watch it.

Brosden is a beautiful boy. He epitomizes the inner child. He doesn't worry about too much, allowing him to be naturally in a state of zen, living in and appreciating the moment for all its life and beauty, like all children do, until they're taught to worry and be afraid, to get serious and "grow up". So we compromised.

We laid on the couch together and watched an episode of Scooby-Doo (the exact same one I remember watching 30 years ago at his age!). Then we went outside to play baseball and to learn to juggle. I think he had more fun taking pictures of me than paying attention to the juggling.

We came inside and watched Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Brosden got so into it that he sat right next to the TV and began asking questions; are the senators and Mr. Taylor really allowed to do that to Mr. Smith? Is Jimmy Stewart going to give in to Mr. Payne telling him to grow up and give up his boyish ideals? And indirectly, if Mr. Smith was going to ignore his inner child, what he knew to be naturally right and good, to gain the approval of the social mirror of his fellow "man".

When I asked him what he learned, this is what he said:

"I learned from watching Smith Goes to Washington to never lie about big things or little things. Do not cheat or you will pay the price. And never give up fighting no matter how hard it is."
- Brosden Stuart (age 11)

I didn't force any of this thinking or learning. I allowed it by listening to my own inner child to what would be a wonderful evening with my son. Romance isn't a game of trying to get someone you're attracted to attracted to you. There's no natural (real) beauty in that. Real romance is a child-like love for who you're with, pure and true, and appreciating every second of its moments. Romance your children, Romance the World, with the natural beauty and love inside of you.

I laid down with Brosden to watch another episode of Scooby Doo, and remembered watching this one too when I was a boy. I fell asleep peacefully with my son, feeling naturally beautiful inside, with a boy feeling wonderful and seeing his dad as the most beautiful man in the world. And I was able to say, "Today was a good day."

No comments: