2007-08-28

Knocking Down the Walls Before Us



I've heard that you're as big as the obstacle that stops you. But I also know that sometimes the obstacle seems like an insurmountable wall in front of you.

I know this is what many students think. Once you get behind in school, what you're expected to know seems to pile up faster than you can learn it, and the wall gets higher and higher, until you wonder why you should even try......if you're never going to be able to climb it anyway.

Good God, Mighty Mohammed and Brazen Buddha......if a child is learning, AND ALLOWED TO LEARN, to give up on him or herself in school, what kind of future is in store for them as an adult?!?

I'm beginning to think the kids who act up in school are the ones who still know inside that they are capable of more, it's just no one has figured out how they best learn and/or still believes they can learn, let alone Dream Big, Do Big, and BE BIG!

Some of these kids need our help in knocking down the walls in front of them. What usually happens is the kid is knocked down; in confidence, in self-esteem, in self-worth.

Yes I made Miguel cry yesterday because I wouldn't let up, I wouldn't back down and I wouldn't give up on him. He brought nothing into the classroom from the weekend. I put my hands on his desk, looked him in the face and told him that he WAS NOT nothing, and I wouldn't allow him to bring nothing. I've yet to meet a failure and I DON'T KNOW HOW TO ALLOW SOMEONE TO FAIL. So I see the best in them and work to help them see it too.

Well, my tough love made tears come down his face. I got out my phone and called my mother in Ohio, who says I should be training marines, not kids, because I'll make them cry. I lightened up but still kept believing in him in my head, hoping I had lifted him up versus knocking him down.

And this is the note I got from his mother this morning:

Dear Mr.Stuart,
........... Yesterday I was impressed that Miguel just wanted to read like if there was no tomorrow he read the thirty minutes on one book then he read for about one hour and 33 minutes I was in shock.
Thank you for whatever it is that you are doing to motiviate my son to read please keep doing it.
I hope that he reads as much as you needed him to read. I know that you are very busy but when you get the chance if you can write in a letter or you can call me if by any chance I dont pick up that probably means that I am still working you can leave me a message.
Thank you for being an awesome teacher my son talks about you everyday but dont worry they are good things.

Have a great day
R.
Miguel`s mom


And here's my reaction (lifting Miguel up to demonstrate his new view of the world).






This takes energy. Energy I don't really have. But it's needed so I will dig deep and find it, and draw it from friends, children family = LOVE.

And it leaves me with no time

no time for worry, doubt (myself or others)
fear
insecurity

of the wall in front of me just gets higher and higher


Now if I can get some students to STOP reading - Taneacea the Terminator reads well past bedtime. I had to tell her I won't credit past 9pm - she read till 4am Monday night - I think I'm firing them up too much - Better than not enough :-)

Must go pick up Sofia for school, take her to class, visit her in class, pick her up from class - With Love, anything IS possible - it is my life source anyway

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No time to waste!You have already made an impression and helped to create a passion for reading in Miquel(even more than required).
You will always amaze me!Wonderful story...Congrats!
D