2006-07-27

Keeping a Promise








This was the first article I ever wrote. It was also the first article I ever had published. It is a story about a father keeping his word to his daughter. Well, truthfully, a step-father keeping his word to his step-daughter. I had only written my thoughts about the experience on paper. Her mother read it and thought it was so wonderful she encouraged me to find someone to publish it.

Sometimes it is the little things that make a big difference, especially with children. Although her mother and I are no longer married, she still calls me "Daddy Adam" and asked me to take her swing dancing for her birthday this September. I am flattered and can still feel her love for me. The appreciation of little things we've done for each other have created an unbreakable bond between us. And it all started from keeping a promise.

This year's Super Bowl was amazing! Adam Vinatieri's last second field goal marked it as the second greatest upset in Super Bowl history. And U2 as the half-time band--Wow! They are one of the few bands where I've never changed the radio station while their songs were playing.

The only thing wrong with this incredible, spectacular, and unforgettable event was that I didn't see it.

I was fulfilling a promise I had made to a little girl. My daughter/stepdaughter had asked me to put a swing together, just she and I. She had asked me the day before, and when I said "yes", she said "Do you promise?" A victim of broken promises in the past, I told her my "yes" did mean a promise. I asked her if I had broken any promises to her in the two years I had known her. This seven-year-old smiled widely and said "no."

Well, an errand on Super Bowl Sunday took longer than expected. By the time I got home it was already 5:00. I'm 34 and have never missed a Super Bowl in 25 years. Being a former college player I really enjoy watching the game, especially the "Big One".

So, I missed one of the greatest games in Super Bowl history. But what I didn't miss was the smile on my little girl's face as we worked by flashlight to finish the swing, as well as the warm hug we shared as we sat together when it was finished.

I didn't tell her I was missing a game with former Ohio State players (my favorite team). I didn't tell her she better appreciate what I was doing for her. All that mattered was that she and I were doing something together. And I did it because keeping my word was more important to the life of a child.

Years from now, after people have forgotten who played in this game......I hope my daughter is telling her children how Grandpa made her feel special one night in February.

Thank you Cristina. You always appreciated the little things I did. And look at us now, still together, still strong. And you continue to make my life better.

This article was published Wednesday, March 20, 2002 and can still be found at www.theopinion.com and searching by author.

Another great "Cristina" story is how she went from "F's" to "A's" in math in less than two months. Another time, perhaps. I'm still glowing inside from rewriting this one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this one too. Well written, I felt your love for Christina

Anonymous said...

tissues in hand i had to read it 3 times to make it through then entire story....makes me stop and realize its not too late for me and mine....just take the time for them....thats all they ever wanted...this one was tough...xo twinsmom68

Anonymous said...

Promise…a declaration that you will do what you say you will do. Many people - and I include myself among the many - break a promise at some time in their life. Seems to me it’s easiest to do so with two groups of people: strangers and people you love. Strangers because you have no vested interest in the outcome and people you love because you know that they will forgive you. But the problem with breaking promises is that it changes who you are inside – you’re no longer quite authentic…no longer a person of integrity. There are several things I try to strive for in my life…one is to tell the truth as I see-feel-know it at the time. This has been a promise I have made to myself. And as simple as it seems, it’s sometimes unbelievably hard. Felicitazione to you, Adam, for understanding that keeping your promise to your daughter is keeping your promise to the love in you.
J

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing it. It brought tears to my eyes, a lump in my throat, a flutter in my heart and a smile to my face.....