2008-10-15

BRING IT! ~ Creating Reality Creators

I like Tony's workout motto of "Bring It!" so much that I added it and his signed picture to the panther.

From my research and own classroom experience, the mind and spirit work a lot like the body. In order to have each student leave at the end of the year FEELING and BEING UNSTOPPABLE, I have to find a way to get each one of them to Bring It!.....

....You bring your completed homework EVERYDAY

....You bring your heart and mind EVERYDAY

...You bring your dreams and determination EVERYDAY

...You bring your best EVERYDAY

....And your best will be brought out.......EVERYDAY

One year isn’t a lot of time to make a long-lasting difference in a student’s life, but one year of Bringing It EVERYDAY makes it a lot more possible.

And just as in any healthy, functioning, and lasting relationship or partnership, the person asking for it has to also be willing to give it. If this is done everyday, then everyday is a darn good day as your best is brought out in yourself and those around you.

Out of necessity I get up about 6 hours before school starts. But it’s also part of a plan. If I can get up early and bring my best out physically, mentally and spiritually before I even get to school, chances are I'll be able to bring out the best in my students.

My incredible daughter noticed the sun coming out of the clouds yesterday morning as we pulled into school. I let her natural sense of joy and awe flow into me and give me a new burst of energy.

When she wanted me to play with her on the monkey bars I did, even though my muscles already had enough....and found out my heart had more.

And when it came time to start the school day, it ended up being the best day of the year so far.

The day before I wanted to quit. During our field trip Monday I looked at Bella and asked her what I was doing here besides being there for her and Sofia. I had to find the inner strength to go on, to hold onto that universal string that will never break....

That day, for the first time, EVERYONE brought it. I held on, and so did they. Because of the way I teach kids, some parents of very bright children want them in my class. And because of the way I reach kids, the administration puts in some of the very toughest.

I work out to be able to run and play with my children, but also to develop the inner strength to have the patience and understanding to hold onto this wide range of students, pushing and enriching the top, grabbing hold and lifting up everyone at the bottom, and guiding and coaching all those in the middle.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain, and most fools do. But it takes a wise (and strong) person to be patient and understanding (while still not allowing for any excuses)." - A little Dale Carnegie mixed in with a little bit of me.

And if it's true that every reality has been focused into being by someone (Law of Attraction), then it's also true that we can recreate any undesirable reality we are facing.

The problem is that we were taught to face reality before we knew that we were just continuing to create what already was.

Teaching others to be reality creators may not be easy, and the older they get the harder it becomes....but the payoff is huge.

Two students got their I-pods back on Tuesday after giving me their best day ever! They lost them two months ago because of their behavior. They got them back because of their behavior. THEY are in control of their behavior because they finally are taking control of their thoughts and actions....and now they are beginning to see that.

Another student who really brought it made me take him to the office to "tell on him" by showing the principal his growth in test scores from the beginning of the year to now:

Social Studies = 45 to 88%
Science = 52 to 84%
Math = 09 to 53%
Reading = 86 to 103%
Language Arts = 0 to 110%

***And this is a student who used to give up and storm out of class. This told me he had great fire, but it was uncontrolled and burning him up, destroying him more and more every day. And if someone didn't reach him soon, he might become too hard to reachand as an adult cause great damage in the world.

For two months I've been starring at my picture after class of Bruce Lee, asking him to teach me how to teach this kid.

It finally came to me. "Be like water my friend."...Sometimes gently flowing, other time flowing in a great crashing force. And it worked.

And now I see this picture taken on Tuesday. These words were put together by two students, one going from C's to A's and the other from F's to C's.

They have also learned how to Bring It! They have learned how to create their own dreams into realities.

Face reality, Hah! How about creating it?

How about becoming your own hero, just for one day?




MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com

No comments: