2008-09-29

How Can I Keep You?

How can I keep you,
Forever as you are?
You are all so very perfect,
...Exactly as you are.

I want to bottle up these moments.
Not wanting them to go away.
How do I keep you in your childhoods,
...Just exactly as you are?

From a dad to his daughters,
and a father to his son,
you fill my life with an abundance,
of laughter, joy and fun.


- Adam Stuart, September 29, 2008

Positive thoughts and feelings are the answer to producing positive results. Our choice of what to think about ourselves and our abilities is absolutely unlimited, and when we're young this happens naturally in a flow of joy, confidence, and inner happiness.

Even after falling several times while learning how to walk, those around us remain positive, encouraging and loving....and we feel good and choose positive thoughts....and eventually succeed at walking.........Every Single One of Us.

As we get older the world becomes less patient with us, and we become less patient with ourselves. By the time we're adults we feel we have to be perfect right away, the first time we try or soon after.

Constant criticism and numerous warnings to "be careful because we could fail" disconnect us from this inner source of joy, confidence and happiness, and we begin forcing ourselves to think and feel positive, often using external sources to achieve this.

I want to thank my children for constantly reminding me that our greatest and most natural happiness and energy always comes from within.

All I have to do is watch them at play, and allow myself to make the time to play with them........and the joy and energy I felt during my childhood returns to me in my adulthood.

And I make a promise to them, that as their father I will do everything I can to be patient, guiding, and loving with them as children......

...So they can take the joy, confidence and happiness of their childhoods with them into their adulthoods.

*And a big thank you to my friend, TJ, who invited us to play tennis with him.

He's a professional tennis player, so you can see why I get excited when I score a point.....any point.......and I let my childlike inner joy come out and have fun with it..........OH YEAH!!!


































1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this poem is so sweet, you are just so devoted to your kids. it's clear that they love you lots, and you them. It's so sweet :)