2006-09-03

Singin' in the Rain


I was serenaded this morning by an angel. As she sang this song to me, I felt covered in sunshine. My own real-life angel, my four-year-old Sofia, sent to me from the heavens. It's funny how our own children seem to be in our lives for a reason, as if they were hand-picked just for us.

With the divorce rate at 50%, it's no exaggeration that many of us find partners that choose to be hurricanes rather than sunshine, whether they mean to or not. And as destructive as this can be and often is, our angels are here to help us get up, heal, and be alive, while we still are.



Just as my son enlightened me while playing in the rain (see "Rain, Rain, Go Away?"), my daughter's singing counseled me to appreciate the rain, and to use it to become invincible. And like Gene Kelly did in the movie; to smile, dance, rejoice, and feel the rejuvenating and strengthening love someone has for me, my little angel, my Sofia.


"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt, and live like it's heaven on Earth." - Mark Twain

When the song in the movie "Good Morning" comes on, Iszabella turns the futon onto a stage and dances on top of it while Brosden and I tap dance around her.



Sofia, my "angel", likes to play the part of the villian. She likes the "Yes, Yess, Yessss. No, Noo, Nooooooo" part. If you've seen the movie you'll understand, and laugh.





Thanks to Sofia's serenade I spent the rest of the morning listening to Frank Sinatra's love songs and writing this tribute to the little angels in all of our lives. Below are the lyrics to this wonderful song that gives hope to the romantics.


Singin' in the Rain

"Doo-dee-dee-doo, doo-doo-doo, dee-dee-dee,
doo-doo-dah-dee, dah-dah-dah, dee-dee

I'm singin' in the rain.
Just singin' in the rain.
What a glorious feeling.
I'm happy again.

I'm laughin' at clouds.
So dark up above.
The sun's in my heart
and I'm ready for love.

Let the stormy clouds chase,
everyone from the place.
Come on with the rain,
I've a smile on my face.

I walk down the lane,
with a happy refrain.
Just singin'
Singin',
in the rain.

Dancin' in the rain,
I'm happy again.

I'm singin',
and dancin',
in the rain.

I'm dancin',
and singin',
in the rain."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning and Happy Labor Day! Your writings gave me goosebumps and created quite an emotional stirring. Thank you for sharing... Anne

Anonymous said...

Very sweet, you have been bless. I am very impress, Thank you for sharing this emotions with me...WANDA

Anonymous said...

As Mark Twain said, “Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.” So if singing in the rain means forever looking towards happiness and forever turning away from sadness, bring on the insanity. J

Anonymous said...

Hey I thought this was great and I learned 2 things.... one is that you are a good poem writer and two, Bella is a really cute angel.

Love,
Amanda