2009-09-21

What a Good Teacher Gives

I stopped at a Walgreens Monday afternoon when a former student from 4 years ago came in, gave me a high five and told me how I am still his favorite teacher.

As he walked away the clerk behind the counter, Shirley, told me how wonderful that was. When I told her I never had him as a student, that he was in the class next to me and could hear me teach through the walls, and that it was his little brother who had me last year, she was impressed.

I shared that I was struggling to afford to continue teaching (I had to sign withdrawal papers for Sofia's ballet), then grinned and mentioned how things like running into this kid keep happening and reminding me why I need to continue teaching.

She said kids need someone to believe in them, and I told her how since I've never met one that was a failure, I've never let one fail.

Her smile turnd into a frown, and in an almost angry voice she said, "That's what we need. More teachers who give a damn!"

As I walked away I couldn't help but think that of all the things a good teacher gives to his or her students, one of the most important is actually giving a damn.

(pictures inside the Roman Coliseum and summer trip to Ohio)

1 comment:

Angie said...

Isn't that really true of all of us ? All most people need is someone to give a damn. It is especially important with children. You mold their future just by taking a minute (or ten) to care about them.

I know it is often difficult to live on what you make in the education field, but I pray that you will always find a way. You touch so many lives in your classroom, Adam. You make our world a better place in everything you do. Thank you is not adequate, but know that there are people like me who truly appreciate your efforts.