2006-08-13

Rain, Rain, Go Away?

"Rain, rain, go away.
Come again another day;
Little Johnny wants to play."



AND SO DOES BROSDEN!*


So to the door
And out in the rain!
We don't know
When this chance will come again.

Hurry Dad,
grab your sword!
There's pirates to fight,
and their ship to board.

Grab that spear.
Into the downpour!
We live in the wild
Hunting the dinosaur.

Let's get a ball
We can bounce off our heads,
Or lay in the puddles
In our own waterbeds.

It doesn't matter
what we do or be;
As long as I'm in the rain
And you're with me.


"It's raining!" cried Brosden earlier this afternoon, as he dropped everything and sped to the door. I got the idea for this poem while reading Mother Goose rhymes to Brosden's sister, Sofia, later in the day, and coming across "Rain, Rain, Go Away". After finishing the entire book and reading her favorite, "Georgie Porgie, Pudding and Pie, Kissed the Girls and Made Them Cry"* a dozen more (I am in so much trouble with this one) I hurried to the computer to write "Rain, Rain, Go Away?".

I think this is a testimony to the beauty and freedom, and even power of the untamed yet wise spirit of a child. We learn to seek shelter from the joy and cleansing teachings of the rain instead of experiencing the happiness and growth that can come from it.

When the rain clouds in our lives pour down criticism on us, what if we tilted our heads back and opened our arms wide to let in any truth behind the stormy words, and grow from it?

When dark clouds constantly doubt and question us, why not let their "rain" wash off our backs and wash away our insecurities, helping us realize we don't need them anymore in our lives, and they'll soon be moving on?

When we hear the thunder of negativity and verbal abuse, why not think of a child playing in the rain, and realize our spirits are as free as we are brave and courageous enough to let them be? We know our own truth, and people either believe in us and our dreams or don't; they either want to build us up with liquid sunshine or try to tear us down with their thunder and lightening.

So when you find someone who does believe in you and wants to help you Dream and Do Big*, take their hand and play in the rain. It's the essence of life and the meaning of humanity. When those who just want to rain on you with constant doubt,disrespect, dishonesty, etc and try to tear you down, don't run for shelter, but stand strong, smile wide, and know their "rain" can't hurt you and they will soon dry up and be gone.

Being "in the rain" is nothing to be afraid of. Being afraid of the rain is. It can awaken you as you feel it on your face, intoxicate you as it falls on your tongue, exhilerate you as it soakes through your clothes, and stimulate you to open your eyes and see a new, better, and happier world.


Watching you son
As you play in the rain
You remind me just
Of what I used to be

I teach you
But you also teach me
Your free and untamed spirit*
Is what I can still be



*(stories and poems related to this that you might like are "SPIRIT", "The Magnificent Sun", "Georgie Porgie, Run and Hide!", "What Will You Do That Will Last Forever?" and "The Winners of Washington Shores")

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joy, pain.
Sunshine, rain.

We must have balance. And it is only in balance that we are truly alive, truly evolved and truly free.

Well done, amigo!
play play play...

Anonymous said...

Always always always ...it's not the fact that you are afraid...it's how you deal with that fear.
J

Anonymous said...

really good job, Adam, here's an old, old writing I did in another life ...reminded me of your article...

Somewhere in the field
I lay down something
Been carrying for a long time
Felt so good
To put in down
Made me feel all giddy-like

Just got to resist
Picking something up
To fill in that empty space
Need a little lightness
Been weighed down
Near my whole life’s pace

A whole open field
Stretching to infinity
With nothing to start me crying
Don’t give me your weight
Now’s the chance
See if I can do me a little flying
J

Anonymous said...

I really like your story! Good job! Your favorite Student, Belle

Anonymous said...

this poem is good

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your poem! Great Job! Belle

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your poem! Great Job! Belle

Anonymous said...

Let it rain! Let it rain! Let it rain! No matter the weather. I see only sunshine and blue skies in your forcast. tj

Anonymous said...

You live under a big grey cloud when your sad, and the big yellow sun when your happy.

-Bridget M. Frost

Anonymous said...

You live under a big grey cloud when your sad, and the big yellow sun when your happy.

-Bridget M. Frost